Could you google “Amy Tan”? Yes, you could. Could you wikipedia her? Of course. In fact, you probably should. But, we have to talk about Lady Tan. (Yes, we just renamed her that). We have to talk about a few things that we love about Amy Tan, the author of the first book we’re tackling here on the blog (halfway done, yes!)
- Despite disapproval from her immigrant mother, she switched her major from Pre-med to English. She gets a high-five from all first-generation college students with interest in creative fields, for pursuing her passion.
- Anyone who sits down and pets a cheetah deserves a high five. Fearless Lady Tan!
- She’s funny. in that dry wit, did-she-just-say-that kind of way. Just watch her TED video on Creativity. A little rambly but definitely funny.
- She has her own Simpson character, cementing her place in American Pop Culture. For some reason, I could not find the English version of that clip.
- She’s in a band…along with Stephen King (yes, that Stephen King) and Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons and Futurama. They’re called The Rock Bottom Remainders. Whaaa….
Photo courtesy of amytan.net